Fear and Anxiety can be paralyzing. It can stop you from being productive and can cause you to have a very negative view of the world. Here are 5 quick tips to help if you find yourself being controlled by fear and anxiety.
1. Breathe Consciously- How often do we find ourselves breathing without even being aware? When you are conscious of your breath, it will help you calm down. If you are breathing, it means you are alive. So stop everything, breathe in from your nose, feel the oxygen energize you, and breathe out.
2. Cool down your body temperature- Fear and anxiety are “hot” emotions. If you can get to a sink and put cool water on your hands, wrists, feet, and back of your neck, your body will start to cool down and fight against the heat of the anxiety.
3. Talk it out- Get the thoughts out of your head. Either by journaling it out on paper or venting to a safe person, it is important for you to get it out so it has less power over you.
4. Ask yourself, “What’s the worst thing that could happen?” Sometimes we are scared by things that really aren’t that bad. So if we can resolve and plan what we would do if the scary thing did happen, the fear will decrease.
5. Remember fear and anxiety are big liars!- When you really listen to the message that they are sending, it usually has little merit or supportive evidence. Ask yourself, “Is this really true? Where’s the evidence?”
Remember stay strong and take your control back from fear and anxiety. They only have power when you give it to them!!